A pet named Bearded Dragon is a highly social, friendly, animated, curious, docile, and gentle animal. One of the interesting things is that they are very responsive to their owners. Bearded dragons belong to a group of reptiles known as Pogon.
Table of Contents
- The Question is Can Bearded Dragons Eat Blueberries?
- Some of the Common Features of a Bearded Dragon Are :
- Are Blueberries Safe for Bearded Dragons? What Are the Health Benefits of Blueberries?
- Is It Safe to Give Blueberry Leaves to Bearded Dragons?
- Is it Safe for Bearded Dragons to Eat Frozen Blueberries?
- What Is the Right Way to Offer Blueberries to Beardie?
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
The Question is Can Bearded Dragons Eat Blueberries?
- Yes, they can! Bearded dragon owners might be curious to know the answer to whether they can eat blueberries. The answer is Yes, they can ! Blueberries are a lot nutritious. Blueberries are very healthy as these little berries provide an excellent source of nutrition for your pet. However, you just have to take care that they eat a balanced diet.
- As a bearded dragon owner, you must know that your pet needs an omnivorous diet.
- This diet must consist of insects, fruits, vegetables, and leafy greens.
- These lizards, similar to us, also need a certain amount of various diets.
- Many bearded dragon owners want to know whether bearded dragons can eat blueberries Or not. It is an interesting fact that Blueberries are a tasty and healthy part of a bearded dragon’s diet.
- You just have to take almost care that the amount you offer should be moderate.
Some of the Common Features of a Bearded Dragon Are :
- Bearded dragons, also named “Beardies,” are moderately sized lizards native to Australia.
- They are found in various color ranges.
- But most of them are often found in a light tan to brown
- They have a long, thick tail
- They have spiky and beard-like collars around their neck; hence they are named bearded dragons.
- Generally, they are considered good pets.
Most of the time, Bearded Dragon pet owners get worried before including human food, fruits, Or different vegetables in their pet’s Diet Plan. Hence a Bearded dragon pet owner must know everything about what is safe and what things are unsafe. The following points will help you to learn more about it:
- Bearded dragons are omnivores; hence they eat both plants as well as animals. They can eat a different and wide range of food, such as live mealworms, king worms, crickets, and also parsley, and kale. They include fruits and vegetables too.
- Pet Bearded dragon Owners must know that they should offer a well-balanced diet of insects, fruits, and veggies.
- For an adult dragon, the balanced diet should be 80% plants and 20% insects.
They are much easier to take care of than other reptiles and lizards. But have you ever thought about What they eat or what they include in their diets? Most the Bearded dragon owners have a question Can their pet eat blueberries?
Are Blueberries Safe for Bearded Dragons? What Are the Health Benefits of Blueberries?
Following are some of the health benefits of including blueberries in your pet’s diet:
- The blueberries are small in size but Are much more powerful. They are the same as cranberries, huckleberries, and bilberries.
- Blueberries are known to offer a lot of health benefits for your bearded dragons.
- Most health professionals recommend adding blueberries to their pet’s diet as a part of a healthy diet.
- You can feed blueberries to your bearded dragon in moderate amounts.
- Blueberries add important antioxidants, Vitamin C, potassium, Vitamin K1, and manganese to your pet’s diet.
- Blueberries have high water content.
- Blueberries are also good for hydration.
- Feeding blueberries to your beardie will provide a healthy source of energy from the natural carbohydrates.
Is It Safe to Give Blueberry Leaves to Bearded Dragons?
- Yes, you can let your bearded dragon eat a few blueberry leaves, but you have to take care that you should offer it in moderation.
- If you want to offer a few of the leaves to your pet as it will not cause any harm. It is not recommended to make this a regular thing.
- You must check if a regular amount of leaves is suitable for a bearded dragon.
Is it Safe for Bearded Dragons to Eat Frozen Blueberries?
- The safety of feeding frozen blueberries to bearded dragons has not yet received a satisfactory answer.
- Some experts recommend that frozen blueberries are not safe as they are loaded with pesticides.
- Also, frozen blueberries even contain preservatives in them.
- Some experts claim that fresh blueberries contain more pesticide levels than frozen ones.
- Some of them also claim that frozen blueberries retain more vitamins and antioxidants than fresh ones.
- As there is no fixed answer to this, more research may help to get the right answer. But the best way for this is to ask your trusted reptile veterinarian.
What Is the Right Way to Offer Blueberries to Beardie?
- Because blueberries are known to be a healthy source for your bearded dragons as they promote healthy skin and a healthy heart.
- Blueberries also increase metabolism; Blueberries play a key role in building a healthy immune system.
- Blueberries help with good vision too.
Over-Consumption of Blueberries May Cause the Following Things :
- Blueberries are high in sugar. Consumption of too much sugar in your can lead to long-term health issues such as obesity, diabetes, digestive issues, tooth decay, and heart problems.
- Blueberries are high in phosphorus. Bearded dragons require more calcium to combat health issues such as metabolic bone disease.
- It is recommended to feed blueberries to your bearded dragon no more than once per week. You can serve Four or five blueberries at a time.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
How To Feed Blueberries To Your Beardie?
It is very easy to Prepare blueberries for your bearded dragon.
- You have to choose only the best berries, wash them and serve them in a palatable way.
The following steps will help you to understand more:
- Check Whether the Blueberries Are Fresh and Healthy:
- The first step to preparing blueberries for your beardie is you have to choose only the fresh berries. You have to avoid the berries that are not good and fresh.
- Avoid choosing reddish berries or green berries as they are not ripe, and they taste sour to your beardie. Giving such berries may even lead to them causing a stomach ache!
- Do not choose Berries that are too dark or too soft.
- Wash all berries thoroughly:
- You have to wash both organic as well as non-organic berries before you feed them to your bearded dragon.
- The reason behind washing both is that Non-organic blueberries are treated with pesticides, and organic berries may contain traces of manure and dirt.
- By Placing the blueberries in a strainer, wash them under cold water. Now rinse the berries and dry them before putting them in the fridge. Now place them on a paper or kitchen towel for drying.
Can Baby Bearded Dragons Eat Blueberries?
No, bearded baby bearded dragons should not eat blueberries as it is not safe for them. Bearded Dragons need higher calcium levels; hence their diet should mainly come from insect protein, for example, crickets. Other than that, Fresh leafy vegetables should be fed for them to eat.
Can Bearded Dragons Eat Blueberries every day?
- No Blueberries should not be fed to bearded dragons every day.
- You can follow the below given two simple reasons for this reason :
- Firstly, like most other fruits, blueberries also contain large amounts of sugar. This is not safe when given over an extended period of time and sometimes may cause unhealthy weight gain.
- Secondly, blueberries contain a poor calcium-to-phosphorus ratio.
- In general, blueberries can be given in the form of a treat. It should be given every once in a while instead of as a regular daily part of their diet.
Can Bearded Dragons Eat Blueberries Whole?
- Yes, Bearded dragons can eat blueberries whole.
- When the blueberries are ripe, they are soft and juicy; it becomes easy for the bearded dragons to bite through the flesh.
- All the same, some of the owners cut the blueberries in half. Doing This has two particular benefits. First is that halved blueberries become easier to swallow. By doing this, you get sure that there is less chance of choking your bearded dragon.
- Also, bearded dragons sometimes develop a taste for a particular food.
- You can make slices of blueberries and mix them with the ingredients makes this far less likely to occur. The result is that your lizard will eat various ranges of nutrients and may become healthier overall as a result.
What is Oxalic Acid in Blueberries?
- Oxalic acid is a molecule that is found in most plant-based foods. It is known for interference with calcium absorption.
- Excess oxalic acid can therefore impact bones and teeth. It may also lead to kidney stones forming. The solution for this is bearded dragons should ideally be fed foods that are low in oxalates.
Why do Beardies love blueberries?
- Blueberries contain some awesome qualities that can boost your beardie’s health. They are as follows:
- Antioxidants that are especially in the skin of blueberries promote heart health and reduce inflammation. Blueberries contain Carbohydrates, which provide energy.
- Manganese, which helps to aid metabolism and also prevent inflammation.